Archuleta County Fair History
Following a meeting in 1951 with the Archuleta County Extension Agent, Vernon Cornforth and several local ranchers decided to initiate a County Fair. During the first meeting of the Fair Committee, Ray Macht was elected Chairman and the Fair was set for September 28 & 29, 1951. The Fair schedule was geared toward providing a show place for the fine registered cattle owned by locals, providing a summary event for various 4-H projects, and treating the County to an exciting and fun event. Through the years, the growth of the County Fair reflected increasing interest by the youth of the community involved in 4-H and their dedicated leaders who taught the youngsters with exuberant enjoyment.
The mission of the Archuleta County Fair is to unite our community by preserving our history through building memories, encouraging cooperation, creating learning opportunities, providing entertainment, as well as developing healthy competition for exhibitors of Archuleta County enrolled in 4-H and open class competitors from any geographical area of the world.
According to the Pagosa Springs Sun, August 10, 1951, the Fair was for the benefit of the entire community, town’s people and ranchers alike. The Archuleta County Fair is a returning theme in the pattern of our County’s history, changing a little every year, growing with your County and keeping true to some of the very same values held dear over fifty years in the past.
Ray Macht, 9 years old